I still remember my Mom asking me to avoid oily food as that would lead to acne on my face. Today, both me and mom laugh over this as there are no scientific studies supporting this myth. Too much of oil is generally not good for our heart and health, but it definitely has nothing to do with acne…….A relief, Isn’t it?
Diet and Acne
As far as research says…..diet do play a role in causation of acne. The two implicated food groups known to worsen acne are Dairy products and foods with high glycemic Index (GI)
- Dairy products: Milk and milk derivatives like cheese and even ice creams have been found to trigger/ worsen acne. And its not just the full cream milk, even skimmed milk is an equal culprit….hence proving again that its not the fat which causes acne. Its been said that the hormones in the milk gives rise to acne.
- High GI food: Glycemic Index and carbohydrate content of food are different entity. There are few carbs which gets digested very fast and cause a very rapid rise in the blood sugar level. These are called food with high glycemic index. The other types of carbs are those which are digested slowly and cause slow rise in blood sugar levels. These are low GI food. Food with high GI are implicated in causation of acne. Some Examples of High GI food are : Refined flour, refined sugar, rice, grapes, water melon, ripe bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, raisins and soft drinks to name a few…….So time to avoid pizzas, burgers,bagels, doughnuts 🙁 Food with Low GI includes: Whole grain cereals, peanuts, apples, grapefruits, peas, kidney beans, lentils etc.
- Deep fried foods, dark chocolates……once blamed for acne, are no longer said to play any role in its causation…….What a relief!!!!! 🙂
Foods can Fight against Acne
There are food items that can even help you fight against acne:
- Zinc and Selenium: These minerals are supposed to have anti inflammatory and healing property which helps reduce acne severity. Few examples of food rich in these elements are nuts, whole grain cereals, lean meat, kidney beans and lentils. Though supplements are also available in market, I am personally a fan of natural food rather than manufactured pills!!
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Found in abundance in fish, fish oil and nuts, these again go a long way to give you a radiant glowing skin.
- Antioxidants: Vitamins A, C, E, colorful fruits and veggies like bell peppers, broccoli, berries of all kinds, green tea…..are definitely a friend of healthy skin.
In a nut shell, try and avoid junk foods, fast foods and dairy products for at least 1-2 months to see its effect on acne. Inculcate the habit of healthy eating. Includes loads of fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grain cereals and lean protein in your diet.
Basically these food are like those perpetual toppers in our school days, liked by all, praised by all, and those who could be a solution to any problems. Just make these food your friend and your healthy skin is ensured!!!
For any further help, you can write to me at email@example.com
If you like the article, please share