Its never too late nor too early to start taking care of your lovely skin. Till we are in our 20s, our skin is able to replenish and rejuvenate itself, giving us a radiant youthful appearance. After we enter into our 30s, the repair capacity of skin starts slowing down and we begin losing our natural sheen and radiance. Fine lines and wrinkles starts to appear and skin loses its tone and elasticity too. This is when we need to start anti-ageing skin care, but as I told you…its never too late to start taking care of your skin. Even if you are in your 40s or beyond, start doing it right now
Easy anti-ageing skin care routine for all skin type
- Wash your face twice daily or at least once daily at night with a gentle cleanser. Cleansers containing AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) like Glycolic acid and lactic acid are good exfoliants and can be used once at night. We should not use cleanser more than twice in a day, as they rip off the essential oils from skin. If need arise, just splash cool water on the face in between.
- Moisturize…..moisturize……moisturize your skin.This is my favorite weapon against ageing. If we use moisturizers regularly and properly, half the battle is won. Ideally moisturizers should be apply as soon as you pat dry your skin. The more gap you give between cleansing and moisturizing…the less effective it becomes.
- Moisturizers are needed even if you have oily skin. Water based lotions or gels can be used to moisturize an oily skin.
- Sunscreens.….This is the most important step of anti ageing skin care. No anti ageing wand will work, if sunscreen is not included in your daily routine. Choosing sunscreens can be tricky. If this nightmare still haunts you, read sunscreen. Also important is how you apply sunscreen. To know more, read I use sunscreen
- Use retinol based creams at night. Retinol or Vit A are the best anti-ageing agents to be looked for in any night cream. Never use this cream in the day time as this might cause sun sensitivity. Also sunscreen in the daytime is a must if you are on any retinoid based treatments.
- Alternatively, night creams with AHAs (glycolic acid and lactic acid) and PHAs are also good. Don’t use a Vit A and AHA based cream together without consulting a dermatologist, as this may at times cause irritation and discomfort, especially if you have very dry skin.
- Vit C and Vit E based creams, though are not the “anti-ageing” vitamins, but they give a textural improvement to the skin, prevents pigmentation and helps keep the skin soft and supple. These can be used along with Vit A creams. A simple formula to use all these vitamin together is use Vit C daily at night. Use Vit A and Vit E on alternate nights. Vit E is especially good for those having dry skin. If you don’t want to use so many creams, then just stick to Vit A. It’s the best if we have to choose among all.
- As I always say, or rather everyone always say….eat healthy. Include all the seasonal colorful fruits and veggies, nuts and whole grain cereals in your diet. These are rich in antioxidants and minerals needed to fight back the signs of ageing.
To sum up……Just follow this basic anti-ageing skin care steps and you will be giving hard time to anyone guessing your age!!
Wash your face and put a moisturizing sunscreen.
Throughout the day
Loads of smiles on your face and colourful veggies, fruits and nuts in your diet.
Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours if you are out in sun.
Wash your face and put retinoid/AHAs based cream and sleep well!!
Why Only Care for Face: Anti-ageing for Hands & Feet
Most of the people I meet are keen on caring for their face, but they usually forget about their hands and feet. Believe me, your hands can betray you as far as anti-ageing is concerned. Hands and feet are also constantly exposed to sun as your face, they age equally or even more. The signs of age are very much and very early visible on hands and feet. So we need to take equal care of these too.
They need no special care. Follow the same steps as I have mentioned above on your hands and feet also…..Wash….moisturize…..sunscreen……Vit A/ AHAs night cream. These are the essentials of all anti-ageing skin care and you will have an ever soft and youthful hands and feet too.
So……Remain young at heart and skin and keep people guessing!!
The above mentioned skin care guide helps to prevent the signs of ageing and delay the onset of new wrinkles and lines. But these steps would not correct the wrinkles and lines that have already developed. Your Dermatologist can plan a customized treatment for you with peels, lasers, botox or fillers to correct them.
For more information on anti-ageing skin care you can write me at firstname.lastname@example.org